Purchasing Computer from Our Partner Vendors
OIT is partnered with Apple, Dell and HP, to ensure that the campus community has access to purchase a wide range of quality computers. We negotiate the best prices possible so you don't have to spend more than you should. When you purchase your computers from these approved vendors, the total cost of ownership for the campus goes down.
Contact the IT Help Desk to have Computer Lifecycle create an account for you.
Create your own account for HP and use it to log in when purchasing, checking order status, or simply browsing. Already have an account?
Create your own account for Lenovo and use it to log in when purchasing, checking order status, or simply browsing. Already have an account?
You can make tax-free institutional purchases online, over the phone (800-692-7753), or by visiting a local Apple Store. Review the process for Making Institutional Purchases through Apple (PDF). You must purchase AppleCare protection with your machine.
Completing Your Purchase
- Configure your computer online and get an electronic copy of the quote or web proposal.
- Please contact your department administrative staff so that they may complete your purchase using MUNIS. For issues entering your requisition, please contact your designated buyer in Purchasing.
Be sure your p-card limit will permit the cost of the computer you have selected.
- Configure your computer online.
- Purchase the computer online using your p-card. Print and keep the purchase confirmation and have it ready for when Property Control contacts you.
- Enter your name in the shipping instructions so that UNLV can determine where the computer should go once it is delivered.
- Respond to property control's request for purchase information in order for them to tag it.
Receiving Your Order
Track your computer's delivery through the vendor from which you purchased it, using your Purchase Order (PO) number or from the web proposal number.
Once your computer arrives on campus:
- Property Control tags it as property of UNLV
- Receiving delivers the computer to OIT
- OIT Technicians install the software and make an appointment with you to set it up
Why Buy Selected Models from Our Partner Vendors
- The computers selected are all business models and will support campus applications, including network configurations. Other computer models from local stores could be missing key components needed for business operation
- Business models are usually consistently manufactured for about 18 months, making them easier to troubleshoot and repair. Other models from local stores are not consistent
- OIT can readily access the necessary drivers for these models
- You have a variety of configuration options for these models to ensure that the computer meets your needs. Buying "off the shelf" at local stores, other than Apple, requires you to accept the configuration as it is
- Warranties are in effect for a minimum of 4 years (you must buy Apple Care when purchasing an Apple computer)
- If a computer fails, OIT technicians are certified to work on many Dell and HP computer systems and can coordinate repairs with the Apple store, expediting the repair process for you
- OIT can manage the warranty work on these models. Other models from local stores will introduce more complicated or restricted warranty claims
Total Cost of Ownership
The cost of a computer is not just the up-front cost at purchase. Total cost of ownership includes the work needed to get it ready for you, including installing software, and having a consistent core of computers on campus makes that more cost effective for departments and the university.
Total cost of ownership also includes the time and parts for repair, and the warranties from these models allow OIT to repair your computer at a lower overall cost, including faster turnaround time and less down time for you.
Recommended Computer Specifications
OIT provides a computer specification table (PDF) with a range of options, from minimum to recommended, for you to consider when purchasing a computer.
You must purchase an operating system when you buy a new computer. If you do not, you will have to purchase one separately, which could double the cost. OIT can upgrade Windows operating systems on UNLV computers if an operating system is already installed.
Additionally, you must buy AppleCare protection with Apple devices to ensure you receive the 4 year warranty.
UNLV technicians are certified to work on Dell, HP, and Lenovo business-grade systems purchased through the vendor programs, with the exception of Microsoft Surface devices, helping get your device back to you sooner.
OIT technicians can also work with the Apple store to expedite repairs.
If you have additional questions or need assistance in selecting a computer, please contact the IT Help Desk and we can assist you.
OIT manages software licenses for on-campus use. Search OIT's software directory to access free or discounted titles. For software purchased elsewhere, keep your proof of purchase for software as required by the university Software Installation Policy, OIT needs proof of purchase in order to install software or to transfer software from one computer to another.
Purchasing Computers Outside of Our Partner Vendors
PCard policy allows you to purchase your computer from whomever you choose, including models outside of those selected on the above websites. If you purchase a computer outside of the recommended vendors or systems:
- The computer may not be able to run the latest standard operating system used on campus
- The computer may not be able to run campus applications
- Repairs may cost more. OIT does not cover the cost of these repairs
- Warranty claims may have to be completed by you and not through OIT
- Repairs and warranty claims may take longer since the computer may have to be mailed to the manufacturer rather than being fixed here on campus
- Warranties may be as short as 90 days rather than 3 years
Buying for Personal Us
UNLV is partnered with manufacturers to offer students, faculty, and staff discounts on personal computer purchases so you can buy a great machine at a great price for your personal use.